Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu

I let a friend/family member stay at my home temporarily, but now they won’t leave. What do I do?

holding house key

Have you allowed a friend or family member to stay in your home for a certain amount of time, with no obligation to contribute monetarily or otherwise, who then refuses to leave after the end of the agreed-upon time has passed? Have they violated a condition that you have specified before permitting them to stay with you? Perhaps your significant other began living with you, but the relationship ended and they refuse to move out and move on.

Because they are not renting from you, there is no rental agreement, and you do not have a traditional landlord/tenant relationship. Fortunately, there is a solution for this problem! So long as the only issue is possession of the premises, you need to file an unlawful detainer action. This is similar to an eviction, but for a person who does not have a lease agreement and does not pay rent.

Handling this type of situation can be overwhelming without the aid of an experienced attorney. If you are in this type of situation and need help, contact us right away! We will be able to help you navigate this difficult situation and set your life back to normal.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn