Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Daniel M. Copeland Motto

I let a friend/family member stay at my home temporarily, but now they won’t leave. What do I do?

holding house key

Have you allowed a friend or family member to stay in your home for a certain amount of time, with no obligation to contribute monetarily or otherwise, who then refuses to leave after the end of the agreed-upon time has passed? Have they violated a condition that you have specified before permitting them to stay with you? Perhaps your significant other began living with you, but the relationship ended and they refuse to move out and move on.

Because they are not renting from you, there is no rental agreement, and you do not have a traditional landlord/tenant relationship. Fortunately, there is a solution for this problem! So long as the only issue is possession of the premises, you need to file an unlawful detainer action. This is similar to an eviction, but for a person who does not have a lease agreement and does not pay rent.

Handling this type of situation can be overwhelming without the aid of an experienced attorney. If you are in this type of situation and need help, contact us right away! We will be able to help you navigate this difficult situation and set your life back to normal.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Fill out the quick contact form below to have a member of our office contact you for a free case evaluation. We'll let you know how we can help you, so you can make an informed decision about the kind of legal representation you want to have.

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation